- Dr Catherine Delano-Smith
- M.A., B.Litt., D.Phil. (Oxon)
- Position/Fellowship type:
- Senior Research Fellow
- Institute of Historical Research
- The Institute of Historical Research (IHR), Senate House, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HU
- 020 7862 8740
- Email address:
Research Summary and Profile
- Research interests:
- Early Modern, History, Medieval History, Modern History
- Europe, United Kingdom
- Summary of research interests and expertise:
History of maps and mapping. Co-founded the Maps and Society lecture series (Warburg Institute); Editor of Imago Mundi, The International Journal for the History of Cartography. Prehistoric maps, map signs on early printed maps, maps and itineraries in travel; the relationship between maps and their users, especially in the context of biblical exegesis from Late Antiquity to the Reformation; catholicity of mapping with regards to the map image, and connections with social changes (e.g. in learning and education). Concepts in medieval and early mapping.
- Project summary relevant to Fellowship:
- Currently Lead Researcher for the Gough Map of Britain. c. 1400, a 3-year Project funded by the Leverhulme Trust, a collaborative investigation of historical and physical aspects of this remarkable document.
- Publication Details
Date Details 26-Oct-2017 ‘Image and imagination: Maps in Medieval Europe’
In: Alexander J. Kent and Peter Vujakovic eds, The Routledge Handbook of Mapping and Cartography (London and New York, Routledge)
01-Mar-2017 Some Contemporary Manuscripts of Nicholas of Lyra’s Postilla litteralis (1323–1332): Maps, Plans and Other Illustrations
in Natalie Bouloux, Aca Dan and George Tolias (eds), Orbis disciplinae.Hommages en l’honneur de Patrick Gautier Dalché (Tournhout, Brepols)
21-Nov-2016 New Light on the Medieval Gough Map of Britain
Imago Mundi. The International Journal for the History of Cartography
The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Bible and the Arts (Timothy Beale,ed) ( ONLINE and E-Book).
01-Jan-2012 The exegetical Jerusalem:maps and plans for Ezekiel chapters 40-48
in Imagining Jerusalem in the Medieval Wes, L. Donkin and H. Vorholt (eds.), pp.40-75
01-Jan-1999 English Maps. A History
London, with Roger J. P. Kain
01-Jan-1991 Maps in Bibles 1500-1600. An Illustrated Catalogue v
Droz, with E.M. Ingram
- Research Projects & Supervisions
Details The Gough Map of Britain
Currently Lead Researcher for the Gough Map of Britain. c. 1400, a 3-year Project funded by the Leverhulme Trust, a collaborative investigation of historical and physical aspects of this remarkable document.