- Professor Catherine Davies
- Lic (Madrid), PhD (Glasgow)
- Co-Investigator AHRC OWRI Project: Cross-Language Dynamics: Reshaping Communities
- Institute of Languages Cultures and Societies
- Institute of Languages, Cultures and Societies School of Advanced Study University of London Senate House Malet Street London WC1E 7HU
- Email address:
Research Summary and Profile
- Research interests:
- Gender studies, History, Language and Literature (Spanish), Literatures in a modern language, Modern History , Regional history, Romanticism
- Research keywords:
- Spain; Argentina; Cuba; Colombia; Literature; Culture; History; Gender; Women's writing; Poetry; Galicia (Spain)
- Summary of research interests and expertise:
Nineteenth- and twentieth-century Spanish and Spanish American history, culture and literature. The Wars of Independence in Spanish America, history and literature. Cuban history and literature. Abolitionism in Cuba and Puerto Rico (late Spanish Empire). Literature and culture in Argentina.
Spoken Written French Intermediate Intermediate Spanish Fluent Fluent Portuguese Good Good
- Publication Details
Date Details 15-Jun-2020 Transnational Spanish Studies
Co-edited volume and co-author of Introduction (with Rory O'Bryen). 12 chapters.
02-May-2018 War, Gender and Society in Late Colonial and Revolutionary Spanish America
In The Oxford Handbook on Gender, War and the Western World since 1600, ed by Karen Hagemann, Oxford University Press
01-May-2018 How to Live a Colonial Soldier's Life
In: Spain in the Nineteenth Century: New Essays on Experiences of Culture and Society, ed by Andrew Ginger and Geraldine Lawless, Manchester University Press, 2018 pp. 250-269. ISBN 978-1-5261-2474-6
01-Jan-2018 Persuading Parliament: Rafael María de Labra, Spanish Colonial Policy and the Abolitionist Debate (July 1871).
in Rethinking Past and Present in Cuba: Essays in memory of Alastair Hennessy, ed. by Antoni Kapcia, ILAS, 2018, pp. 45-61.
02-Oct-2017 Digital Resources: Gender and Latin American Independence
In Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Latin American History, ed by William Beezly. Oxford University Press. New York.
01-Jan-2016 The Gender Order of Postwar Politics: Comparing Spanish South America and Spain, 1810s-1850s
in War, Demobilization and Memory: The Legacy of War in the Era of Atlantic Revolutions, ed by Alan Forrest, Karen Hagemann and Michael Rowe, Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke, pp. 182-199.
01-Jan-2015 Literature by Women in the Spanish Antilles: 1800-1950
in The Cambridge History of Latin American Women’s Literature, ed by Ileana Rodriguez and Monica Szurmuk, Cambridge University Press, pp. 181-195
01-May-2014 La inclusión y la exclusión política y literaria: Josefa Acevedo de Gómez.
Revista Historia de las Mujeres, Año XV, no. 154, mayo-junio.
01-Jan-2014 Rosalía de Castro y América. Doi: 10.17075/rcsxxi.2104.
Rosalía de Castro no século XXI. Unha nova olladaed. ed. by Rosario Alvarez, Anxo Angueira, María do Cebreiro Rábade, Dolores Vilavedra.
- Research Projects & Supervisions
Details Open World Research Initiative Translingual Strand AHRC
- Consultancy & Media
- Media experience: