- Mr Aldo Micieli
- MA in Renaissance Studies
- Film Studies, Italian Studies, Art History, Aesthetics, Philosophy
- Warburg Institute
- 4 Ship Street Gardens Brighton BN1 1AJ
- Email address:
- Research Projects & Supervisions
- PhD Topic:
The representation of angels in Western Art, with an emphasis on Italian art during the Counter-Reformation.
My thesis focuses on matters of visual representation, specifically on the issue of expressing abstract ideas and topics of the imagination into material, visual terms. I have chosen angels -and angelic figures at large- as a suitable case study, arguing that an angel is a widespread concept rooted in the popular imagination, whose image is only its phenomenal materialisation among other conceptual manifestations which determine what we commonly refer to as an angel. I use the case of angelic figures in Italian art of the Counter-Reformation period to elucidate how cultural and political agencies have defined through history a very ancient idea that still have currency in our days.
- Dr Guido Giglioni
- Research interests:
- Archaeology, Classics, Communications, Cultural memory, Early Modern, Gender studies, Globalization & Development, History of art, History of the book, Language and Literature (French), Language and Literature (Italian), Modernism, Music, Neuroscience, Philosophy, Photography, Politics, Screen Studies, Socialism, Communism, Anarchism
- Europe, North America